4 September 2009

TEMMY - When the Sun Doesn't Shine.

“Isn’t that Titi’s man?” Maureen repeated.
“Looks just like him.” Lola stated slyly, almost laughing.
Funmi, Maureen and I looked flabbergasted.
“What are we going to do now?” Funmi asked.
“I don’t know. Do we take pictures or record it?” Lola queried. “Or better yet, go and get Titi out of the loo so she can see for herself?”
“Oh no! They are leaving.” Maureen whispered.
We watched as the couple walked away and disappeared in the crowd. Suddenly, Titi showed up and we just looked at each other.
“Hi ladies!” Titi greeted Maureen and I.
“Hey babes.” I replied.
“Hiya!” Maureen said.
We hugged and air kissed.
“Come on ladies. The concert is about to start! Let’s go and take our seats.” Funmi prompted in haste.
We made a move, collected the concert's programme leaflets and got past security at the entrance of the concert hall. Our seats were in the front so we had a pretty good view. I looked around and the place was packed. That’s a good sign, the show sold out. I just hope this is a great night for Dolapo. It will be a stepping stone for her. We all took our seats in silence. The lights in the hall went dim and the show began. The first performer elevated to the stage; little light bulbs from the stage emphasised her entrance. She looked flawless and breathtaking. She sang her song with all her might. We all sat their listening attentively and bobbing our heads to the rhythm of her song. We watched, danced and listened to the other acts until the first half of the show was over.

The interval between the first half and the last part of the show was approximately 20 minutes. We all stepped out and went to buy drinks. The tension between us was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. I looked up at Maureen and she looked right back at me with mixture of fear and concern etched all over her face. I noticed Funmi was busy looking around frantically while Titi was trying to get her attention.
“Funmi! Are you alright?”
“Hmm? Yes I’m… I’m alright.” Funmi stammered.
Lola was busy collecting her drink from the guy at the bar. I didn’t know what to say or how to bridge the gap between us. I know I’ve got to do something soon before Titi starts noticing that something is not right. A part of me wished the couple will surface again. I turned around and scrutinised the crowd. Then I changed my mind: I hoped the couple wouldn’t show up again because tonight belongs to Dolapo. Suddenly, something caught my eyes. My eyes met that of Tade’s.
Oh no! Not again!
Tade’s sister saw me too. She smiled and waved at me. Tade continued to stare at me with an odd expression on his face. He turned to his sister and said something to her. Then he looked up and smiled. I was transfixed until Maureen nudged me.
“Who’s that girl?” Maureen asked.
“Ermmm…she’s some random person I met tonight.” I uttered.
“Why does that fella look so familiar?” Titi asked.
We all looked at each other alarmed. We looked at her direction.
“Oh him!” Maureen said breathlessly as she stared at Tade. “He has been staring at Temmy for some while now.”
“Temmy, do you know him?” Funmi asked.
“Temmy Temmy. You got yourself an admirer oh!” Lola teased.
“I want to get a closer look at him.” Titi expressed.
“Errm…ladies, it’s time we head back inside. Dolapo is opening the 2nd half of the show.” I reminded them.
“Oh! That’s true. Let’s head back.” Lola concurred.
We returned to our seats in the nick of time. Dolapo was walking onto the stage in pearl Cinderella dress. She looked beautiful, vibrant and elegant. We all watched her in awe. She raised her face up and lifted the microphone to her mouth. Her voice reverberated and it was breathtaking. She sang from the heart. The crowd gave her a standing ovation.

I looked her, she was just glowing and enjoying being up there. She lifted her face skywards and continued to sings praises of God. I was in awe of her voice and the messages she was passing through her song. It felt like she was talking to my soul and helping me see the light again. She concluded her session by thanking God and the audience; the whole crowd were enthralled by her talent. We gave her another standing ovation until she completely walked off the stage.

After the show had come to an end, we all went backstage to find Dolapo. Maureen spotted her first. She had her back turned to us and she was having a chat with some people who were in front of her. We stood there waiting for them to conclude their discussion. Suddenly, I saw the woman again. I tapped Lola’s shoulder.
“Isn’t that same woman we saw outside kissing the guy that looks like Titi’s man.” I whispered.
“I think so” Lola replied. Dolapo turned our way with a smile on her face and we got a better glimpse of the woman.
“Oh no! It’s her.” I moaned. “What are we going to do now?”
Dolapo looked up at me and she smiled. She beckoned us over.
Lola addressed the other girls who were discussing the performance of all the acts in the show. We walked to Dolapo, complimented and embraced her.
“Ladies, meet Folake Sonaiya and her colleagues. They are from a major record label, Skye Records, in the States and they have just offered me a record deal.”
Maureen and Funmi were in shock when they saw the lady in grey. Titi was smiling while Lola tried to jut Maureen and Funmi out of their shock.
“Wow! Congrats Dolly! You are truly wonderful and talented.” I praised. “It’s nice to see an accomplished record label acknowledging and uplifting new acts.” I said to the record label representatives. They all smiled.
"We know the best when we see one." Folake declared with a smile.
The girls were cooing and hugging Dolapo. Folake and her two colleagues politely bade their farewell and promised to give Dolapo a call for a meeting later in the week.
“Wow, Dolly! You finally did it!” I stated.
Dolapo looked up smiling and glowing. We all embraced and at that very moment nothing else mattered. Absolutely nothing could take that moment away. We are all here together as one, celebrating success and putting aside our worries, fears, drama and issues. We looked at each other and giggled. Then we decided to go to Maureen’s house for a girl’s night in to celebrate.

The night was young. The night belonged to us. We walked cheerfully out of the arena in our high heels with confidence. Then there they were again, outside the arena. The lady in grey was standing stiffly, hand on her hips while the guy was trying to hug and kiss her. I knew the moment had come. I looked at Lola and she shrugged. I looked at Funmi, she looked worried. I turned to Maureen and she was torn. Their eyes asked me so many questions.
What do we do now? Lola’s eyes reflected, with a hint of triumph.
Do we protect Titi from what she should see? Funmi’s eyes queried.
Should we let fate step in? Maureen’s eyes asked.
There was no time to make any decisions. The couple were now kissing and Titi was looking at them. Dolapo looked at us all in confusion. Before we knew it, Titi had made a move; she started walking towards the couple. As she got closer, we could clearly see the tension in her body. We all stood there helplessly watching the drama unfold.
“Dayo.” We heard Titi call out.
Dolapo gasped and I trembled.
“Dayo!” she moved closer and tapped his shoulder.
The lady in grey turned and faced Dolapo. Dayo stood there looking perplexed.
We just stood there watching. Titi needed to handle this on her own. Yet, I just prayed she doesn’t get into a fight. I know it’s hard but she needs to handle this with maturity.
Time stood still. The two women stood there facing each other and staring at one another while Dayo stood there lost for words.
Dolapo gasped again and we all followed her direction. Just when you think life cannot be so harsh and unfair, it tends to surprise and shock you.
Dolapo’s infamous friend, PK was in an intimate embrace with some lady in red. They looked like lovers unaware of everything else around them. They were in their own little world, where only the two of them existed.

A sadist called fate knew the night isn’t ours after all.


(c) Lati

5 comments:

Favorsheart said...

Am i first?...I am? Wow...

The plot is thickening...you go girls!

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

oh DEAR!!mhmmm.. what to do? what to do? Poor Dolapo.. I don't quite understand why Titi is upset, didn't she say she knew what she was doing? I mean she did say she Knew right? so what changed?

Anonymous said...

I don't feel sorry for Titi - she did kind of have an inkling that something wasn't right. But Dolapo I feel really bad for, she really beat herself up on this yeye PK guy. I like, I like!

Mercy said...

oh my, oh my...so sooo sad. yeah Titi did have an inkling, but reality is very different from what you think...and poor Dolapo.. I enjoyed reading this once more, can't wait for another friday...

Jennifer A. said...

Wowwwwwwwww......FATE spoke tonight. Fate was not in their favor...

I really really liked this installment. PK's twist shocked me, Dayo...I already expected it. Lol. Good stuff...