Fall 2007 – Lagos Nigeria
Coming back to Nigeria was no joke. It was hot; hotter than hot; hotter than sweltering; the kind of heat that makes you have delusional visions. Lord knows if hell was hotter than this, that was certainly no place I wanted to go! I was home for a brief vacation before immersing myself in corporate America . I had just graduated top of my class with a Master’s degree from Princeton and the world was mine to take. I thought coming home for a short bit would do me some good… maybe keep me a bit grounded. How wrong I was. From this pastor to that uncle, from this aunty to even the stupid house boy, everyone was querying me about when I would be getting married. Imagine, someone dared to tell me that I better be careful before I reached my “expiration date”. At only 26 years of age, expiration date indeed. Foolish people. Almost as soon as I got home, I was ready to hop back on a plane back home, my other home. But thank God for Tumi. We had been friends since I was in elementary and for some weird reason had always kept in touch even after I moved to the States. She was my saving grace, always calling and taking me out places. So when she called me to accompany her to a party, I was only too eager, especially since it was a Friday and I could escape that night’s prayer meeting at my mum’s church. I’m sure God answers prayers during the day time too.
And that’s where the story of Dayo begins. There was an instant connection with him. I mean when you’re checking me out, what’s not to love; so I understood his attraction. I was the embodiment of the elusive beauty and brains. I took great steps into maintaining myself in every aspect of my life. From fine dining to wearing the best of the best, I was no joke. No siirreee… Folake Williams is a Diva!!! And smart to boot. In my mind I was thinking this was the answer to my family’s prayers of a husband. Perhaps those prayers and vigils on my behalf were working. I didn’t really believe in love at first sight but I have to admit that Dayo had a few things going for him. I loved his accent. I loved his smooth chocolate skin that seemed to beckon me to take a bite each time. I loved his dimples. He was tall with broad shoulders and the sexiest bushy eyebrows. Yes, eyebrows can be sexy! He was an intelligent man, although I thought he was a bit too full of himself. But we had great conversations… we talked about everything from abortion rights to the supposed looming credit crunch. He wasn’t as big time as he probably thought he was but I knew I could eventually get him where he needed to be. I had high hopes for establishing a relationship with him, which was eagerly encouraged by the ever nosy Tumi. But it seems that it wasn’t meant to be. Life had to go on. I had a fabulous job offer waiting for me in Atlanta and it was time to get moving and focused on other things.
Spring 2008 - Atlanta , GA
I had everything. Working as one of top executives with Skye Records, I couldn’t complain. I had the pleasure of seeking out new talents locally and internationally and my position got me into the most exclusive places. I thank God because even though I was born with a silver spoon, life couldn’t have been more perfect. I had no worries. I had a wonderful network of friends and business associates alike and there was nothing I wanted that I didn’t have or couldn’t get. Well, except one thing - I didn’t have a man to call my own exclusively. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t lacking admirers. As a matter of fact, I was admired quite well the other night but, it’s just not the same as having someone to call your own. I mean would you rather admire a Hermes Birkin bag or experience the pleasure of owning one?
I’m not sure why or when I started feeling this way. Wasn’t it just a couple of months ago that I couldn’t stand to hear people question me about marriage? Maybe it was because Tumi always called and gave me updates on Mr. D, as I had now dubbed him. I have to admit, his image had come up in a few of my fantasies and some of my nightly relaxation rituals. There was just something about him that always made me smile anytime I thought of him, anytime Tumi would give me updates. Sure, I feigned disinterest but you know how we girls are; I didn’t want to ruin my diva reputation. I knew that if I could get Dayo, life would be as close to perfect as it could ever get. I could see it already… Dayo and Folake, power couple extraordinaire! So imagine my delight when Tumi called telling me that if I really wanted to get Dayo the time was now.
I called him. The rest as they say is history.
Fall 2008 - London , UK
Wow! In a few short months I will become Dayo’s wife. I’m getting married o! The Angels are singing, Fo-la-ke is getting married, the Angels are singing, Fo-la-ke is getting married!!! It’s an exciting time, although I’m not too much involved in the planning details. I have an army of wedding planners and event organisers. My own role is just to show up and look pretty. I decided to take a short trip to London to see my man. Dayo was a perfect gentleman, a perfect host. I don’t know that I am in love with Dayo as much as I am infatuated with how much of a perfect couple we will make. I don’t understand this love business that people talk about; is that not the same love that has made being a divorce lawyer a lucrative career choice? Nonsense! Just leave me with an intelligent, good looking guy with the potential to be a high earner and we’re in business. But let’s not get it twisted, I’m no gold-digger. After all I hail from the illustrious Williams family and I was more than comfortable on my own. I doubt that Dayo knew what he was getting himself into by marrying into the Williams family; there was a whole new world that was about to open up to him.
But all was not perfect in this paradise. First off, Dayo said I didn’t have to move to be with him. Maybe he thought that he could marry me and then run around with these chicken heads with messed up weaves in this good ole blighty. I had also seen him being more than a bit flirtatious at a few of the events that we’d been invited to, so I knew that I might have to keep a closer eye on him. I wasn’t too much concerned though, because he showed his devotion to me and treated me like a man ought to treat a woman he’s proud to have. I wasn’t going to tell him anything right now about moving or not moving. I’ll let him think he’s running the show, you know him being the man and all.
Besides, I had other things to do. This trip was as much pleasure as it was business. I was going to be putting together a gospel concert in the near future on behalf of my company. Add that to one of the very many functions that keep me busy. This was a project that was dear to my heart and I was glad that I was the one that got chosen to put it all together. There is nothing like the lift one gets from praising God and I wanted to make sure this event would be spectacular. 2009 was looking to be a great and very eventful year. A wedding to plan, a concert to put together and a transatlantic move to make. Yes, 2009 was definitely going to be a major year in my life.
Spring 2009 - Atlanta , GA
I have now the joined the Mrs. Club. Nothing much has changed because Dayo and I still live in separate continents. I don’t have too much time to miss him because I’m working so much but when we are together it’s pure magic. The wedding was beautiful but what more could be expected from the Williams family. And trust the Chief, aka my daddy. Being daddy’s little girl, he wanted to make sure the event was spectacular and it was. It was a dream come true. Even though I urged people not to post anything online without my permission, there were some rogue pictures out there. A few people had called to congratulate me upon seeing my pictures on Facebook. I didn’t mind too much. The pictures would give a few of them something to aspire to. The honeymoon was just as spectacular. Dayo went all out for us. I was really glad that I was able to clear my schedule to enjoy this moment being a newlywed. I couldn’t really say the same for Dayo who insisted on bringing his blasted cell phone and laptop with us. I warned him that he better not try working while on this honeymoon and he was pretty good about it. I saw him sneak a few calls here and there but it was nothing to worry over. After the honeymoon, I stayed about a week or so in London , and then flew back solo to Atlanta .
Some people thought our arrangement was strange and my mom had started with her prayers again, urging me to move to my man’s side. Didn’t anyone get the memo? It’s the twenty first century and things don’t always have to be the same old traditional way. Well, as modern as I like to portray myself as being, I did want to live with my husband and I’m glad that I will soon have the opportunity to do so. I didn’t say anything to Dayo but I’d been working on moving to England . I had been eyeing a senior position in my company, based in London . And everything seemed to be falling into place. I was due to fly out to finalize the details of the gospel concert which was soon taking place and I was planning not to come back anytime soon. Finally, I will get to be with my man. The thought had me picking up my phone to call him.

27 comments:
Dang!!!!!! I feel so sorry for Dayo right now. 'man wey give em girlfriend em spare key wen em wife dey plan to land 4 em doormot, wahala e dey find - wahala e go get oh.'
men
this thing has to stop being weekly oh, its driving me crazy.lets do it daily puleeze..
oh i pity dayo... he is in hot pepper soup and he is the big croaker head...lol
there's nothing like "surprising" your man every now and again, lol
Hmmm, the plot thickens!
I'm loving this Folake character right now...she's sooo the right person for Dayo. LOL
wait God will strengthen all the contrbutors but u guys gats to make it a daily thing now pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Folake is the best woman Dayo can never wish for.....lol waoh! dayo is in trouble.
d way i am seeing it, titi holds no match to folake when it comes to dayo. dayo seems to me a man that requires 'handling', & folake obviously would do a better job at it than titi. but, let us see how things progress. this is so good. well done, girls.
Chei!! Kasala don burst. Update more frequently, please!
Hmmm...nice! i think Folake's stronger than Titi and should be able to handle things well...
The plot thickens indeed.
ehm...if the writers cant do it daily, dey can write daily, dat way by friday, we'd have a whole book to read...lol.
This is HOT!! I love the history, the present and the future plans. I trully enjoyed this piece. Infact I am now looking forward to the future writes ups of Dayo and Folake..
Do I have to wait till friday?
hmmm which character is next? Sizziling stuff.. weldone people!!
dayummmmmmm..let the drumrolls begin
weldone diamond...this is good...
Hold up! I just put two and two together. Dayo was making calls to Titi while he was on his honeymoon? That is one serious player!
I can imagine the catfights when Titi and Folake meet.
How come am just finding out now via Facebook,lol I will be back to read the rest of the story.
This is on point! Well done ladies!
Hmmmmm.. liking this character - assured, confident, real goal getting woman.... Poor D-Boy.. Kasala is crouching at the door....
wow, i really like Folake..... tough cookie... Dayo is in for a lot of drama and surprises....
Why does everybody like Folake? I think she's arrogant, she and Dayo deserve each other.
This is really good stuff.
Am enjoying every bit of it. Keep it up babes!
wow wow wow!!!
I'm loving all the responses
Thank you all for the feedback! It's very encouraging.
:-)
Lady D, You need to start writing books. Iam not a reader but the story kept me going so i kept on reading. It is brilliant!
D,
This was really good...I like how you did the history/background...and I kept going till the end, while laughing too.
Dayo ain't seen nothing YET!!! MUHAHAAAA...Folake isn't joking o...
Why do I have a feeling that this is not gonna end well?
why do i have the feeling that you are going to find Dayo doing something he shouldnt be doing
This is an interesting story. The plot sure thickens.....living in different continents...thats new for me
welldone laides! diamond, thanks for leading me to this, i checked ur blog and followed d link!
Here we go again!urrrggggg!!!
I almost want to feel sorry for Dayo but he brought it onto himself! A friend always says don't plan surprises coz you'll be the one that ends up surprised....
Post a Comment