It was the night before the concert, and I was in more than a frenzy. Titi had offered to sleep over, for what she called ‘catering to me’. Yet, the ugly truth was that I wanted to run away. Far, far away to where no one knew my name. To where I had no friends. Maybe a distant island or an endless black hole, it really didn't matter. Just somewhere else! It was either that, or tomorrow night I would pretend to be someone I am not-- an extraordinary voice behind the façade of a stunning blue dress, lip-gloss, eye-shadow, and a cascading long black curly mane for my hair. Nothing more and nothing less. Titi had been true to her word-- listening to me practicing my singing all night long. She was exhausted and I totally understood. I watched her as she slowly fell asleep on my bed, in her fancy blue jeans. I felt somewhat guilty. About keeping her up all night, but also about the current turn of events between herself and Dayo. Yet, as I watched her sleep, my own thoughts could not help but veer off on a not-so-surprising tangential scale to that fateful night three weeks ago. My latest guilt trip.
Hi, my name is Dolapo. And I am a heretic.
In the middle of an insanely unpredictable situation on that calamitous Saturday, I kept repeating these words inside my head. That my name was Dolapo and that I was a heretic, just like I would do if I was in an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. I was in the passenger seat in a black convertible, and I had no worries. Or did I? The only other person in the car was the driver. And the driver was PK, going a little bit past the speed limits in this region. Where he was rushing to I did not know! The six red roses he had given me at the restaurant, one for each letter of my name, had intoxicated me with selfishness and I was on my way to see what other goodies PK had for me. He had driven behind me as we went to drop my car at home, and then I got into his convertible to head over to his place. It was the case between Romeo and Juliet, desiring what they could not have but seeking it anyway. On and on we drove into the distant sky. Kunle's house was less than twenty minutes away, but the drive felt like a lifetime. I was getting a little irritated at the distance. PK was saying something but I was not paying proper attention. Something about forgetting to show me the music notes back at Thelma’s Place.
We finally arrived and I pretended to look for something in my purse as PK got out. Passing the test, he went around to my side of the car and opened the door to let me out. I acted like that was supposed to be the norm, but I felt special inside. This PK that everyone thinks is a disciplinarian during choir practice could actually be sexy and romantic when he wanted to. That's hot!
I had never been to his house before, but I wasn't surprised to see that he was as organized as a shrewd house-wife. Everything was spick and span and where it was supposed to be. True to what we already knew about him at church, his passion for music was obvious from the moment I entered the crib and sat down in one of his contemporary love-seats. He had a black and gold belt of artwork in his living room wall which had the familiar sprawlings of the G, C, and F-clefs in varying tessituras. I was impressed.
"So, PK what did you want to show me?"
"I'll get into it in a second Dolapo. But first, I just want you to know that you won't regret coming."
"I hope so."
"You're one of the best out there Dolapo! I mean, what I'm trying to say is that...this upcoming concert hasn't seen anything like you before. Especially not after I go over what I want to tell you tonight." He smiled.
"Thanks Pastor Kunle, I like your passion. Sure you're not a perfectionist?" I giggled as I gave him a questioning look. Mr. Passion was his name. He might as well wear a belt strapped with music notes!
"Are you trying to make fun of me? Stop it o," he retorted.
"Hold on for a minute sha. I'll be right back."
I assumed he was going to use the rest-room upstairs, and it just occurred to me that I should use the opportunity for the same thing. So I asked for his guest powder room. He disappeared upstairs and I disappeared to the powder room. Before I came out, I made sure to adjust my make-up and put on some light lipstick. What did I think I was doing for goodness sake? What was I fussing about? My goodness!
When I came out, I saw him kneeling down in front of his raffia magazine rack, searching through a pile of papers and magazines.
"I wish I can just find what I'm searching for. I checked upstairs and it wasn't there," he whined.
I moved closer to where he was and knelt down beside him. "Maybe I can help if you just describe what it is you're searching for."
"Don't worry Dolapo; just be comfortable on that sofa. I'm sure it'll turn up." But alas the delay was beginning to bother me. It had been a long night and I wanted some form of release.
"PK..." I muttered in my shrill voice. I put my hands on his shoulders and began to lean towards his mouth...
"Ahhhh Dolapo!!! ARE YOU MAD? What do you think you're doing?"
I stood up in total shock. I was thinking we both wanted the same thing, but obviously the way he reacted told me otherwise.
"Errrrr… PK… errrrrm… yeeee!!!"
"What was all that about? I was only trying to help you Dolapo. I was looking for the music notes I told you about on the way here. I couldn't bring them to the restaurant because I forgot them at home."
"Errrrr.... the roses... errm... I'm sorry."
"I'm afraid you'll have to leave right now..."
I shot back to the reality of my bedroom and Titi sleeping on my bed. I did not want to cry. I had brought this upon myself, hadn't I? That night, I had to beg PK not to tell anyone about my stupid advances. He was very shocked at my behaviour, but assured me that he wouldn't even plan such public disclosure in the first place.
“Tomorrow, I will wake up to a new dawn,” I muttered to myself. “Tomorrow, I will be someone else.” A tear slid down my left eye, but I dabbed on it quickly with my right hand.
August 29th, 2009
The O2 Arena
The day was finally here, after much hustle and bustle. The crowds were pouring in as expected from the sales of the concert tickets. Backstage where I was, was a hub of activity. I was sure that the representatives from Skye Records were seated somewhere in the front rows, and that my friends-- Lola, Funmi, Titi, and Temmy (except Maureen who always managed to run late for every event)--were seated in a nice spot somewhere. I will buzz Titi after the event to find out where they were. For now, I had to pretend like I was someone else. I had to pretend that three weeks ago never existed and never happened... I had to make Skye Records fall heads over heels in love with me...
(c) Jaycee

6 comments:
FURST!!! Off 2 read!
ur numba 1 stalka Nogo
LOL!!!!!Good one!
ah ah...you guys kept us waiting o.....hmmmm...the suspense paid off sha..
lwkmd!!!! @dolapo...eeya....poor girl, how will she ever look pastor in the eye....let alone sing in church!!
very nice 1 though....u guys should please fast forward to d concert now...and all d dramam that will 'shele'!!!
mwah!
I'm laughing at Dolapo so hard!So she was the one getting mixed signals from PK all along! Silly girl, she needs a boyfriend of her own. lol lol
Ouch!!!
Post a Comment