27 August 2010

TEMMY: One Step Forward, One Step Back

Hi Temmy, pls see Mr Alderton as soon as you get in. Thanks, Lydia.
I got into the office and found the hastily scribbled post-it note on my computer. Oh dear. Lydia was my boss’ secretary, a rather scattered but nice lady. I wondered what was up as I took of my jacket and switched on my desk-top. Maybe she had forgotten to inform me of some meeting yesterday and I’d missed it. Or due to some problem or the other, I was being made redundant. I thought I should check my emails or list of tasks for any clues before going to see him. I scrolled through my messages; there was nothing unusual. Shrugging off the worried feeling in my stomach, I went to his office. But to my surprise, it was the news I had not even dared to hope I would get. My heart leapt and did somersaults as my boss was speaking and I listened to the details of what would be happening next. As soon as the meeting was over, I thanked him profusely and ran to my desk in excitement. I couldn’t wait to tell my family and friends the latest development. I sent a quick text to the girls: Got some great news, meet up at my place after work!
After that I settled into work, stopping every few minutes to recall my boss’ words and smile at the next steps I would soon be taking.

* * * * *

“So what’s up Temmy?” Lola said, taking a slice of pizza from the box. “I see you are bursting to tell us already!”
We were at my place in the evening, hanging out and eating the pizza feast I had ordered. I’d told Lola, Funmi and Titi that I will only reveal my news when everyone had arrived and we were still waiting for Dolapo.
I looked at my friend’s faces; they all were dying to hear the gist. I giggled. “Yeah right, like you’re not the one bursting to hear it!”
The doorbell rang. Titi went to the buzzer.
“Hello?”
“Babe it’s me,” came Dolapo’s voice. Titi buzzed her in.
“Finally!” Lola said, as soon as Dolapo came in. “We’ve been waiting for you.”
“Sorry guys! Temmy I got your text message only about two hours ago because my phone was switched off. I left the studio as soon as I could.”
“How’s the recording going?” Funmi asked.
“It’s going great!” Dolapo replied, her eyes lighting up. “We’ve recorded eight songs, and my album is almost complete!”
“Wow, well done!” Titi said.
“This must be so exciting for you.” I said.
“Yes, it’s hard work but really exciting.” Dolapo said. “But I’m dying to hear your news, so spill.”
All eyes turned to me. I laughed and paused for effect before finally bursting out:
“I’m moving to Italy!”
“WHAT!” They all chorused.
“My company offered me a promotion, and a transfer to Europe and I took it,” I said, enjoying the looks on their faces.
“Wow, I don’t know what to say,” Titi said at last.
“Well, start with ‘congrats’, I said.
“I guess it’s a good thing” Lola said. “A new job and a chance to experience a new culture sounds great.”
Funmi got up to hug me. “Then congrats it is!” She said. “I’ve always known you liked adventures.”
“How long will you be there for?” Dolapo asked.
“I don’t know yet; it could be a permanent move.” I said
“Wow, for real?” Lola said. “I don’t know… I mean Funmi is getting married and you’re leaving? Soon we won’t be a close group anymore.”
I hadn’t thought about it that way actually. I was too excited with the adventures to think about the friends I would be leaving behind. But now that Lola mentioned it, it did dampen my enthusiasm a bit. 
“Hey, don’t say that. We’ll always be in touch and you guys can come and visit me there,” I said.
“Yeah but it won’t be the same,” Dolapo said. “Us being able to meet-up together like this at short notice?”
“Wait, when will you be leaving?” Titi asked.
“In about two weeks.” I said. “My boss said all the arrangements are already being made.”
“Two weeks!” Funmi said. “So that means you won’t be here to help me with my wedding plans.”
“Eh, I won’t miss it, that’s what Skype and BB is for,” I laughed. “Come on you guys, this is going to be great for my career.”
“I know.” Funmi said. “Alright, let’s stop being selfish; I’m happy for you babe.”
“Yeah I am too.” Lola hugged me as well. “I’ll definitely come and visit you in Italy.”
“So will I.” Titi said.
“And Dolapo would come and perform at a concert!” I said. “Now won’t that be fun?”
We all laughed.
“Yeah it would be great.” Dolapo said. “Maybe by this time next year, who knows?”
We started talking about where each of us was going to be in a year’s time. At the end, we chose to mark the date and revisit our predictions. That got me thinking about what I would really want to happen in the next one year. My career was on the right path, hopefully my love life would be too.

* * * * *

The next day I got home quite late. With the impending move, I had to put in more work on my current projects so that I could leave them at a good stage, if not at completion. After dinner, I was sorting through my wardrobe already, thinking of what I would have to pack with me, and the stuff that I would give away when Funmi called. After we had exchanged the usual pleasantries, she brought up her reason for the call.
“Temmy, I know you are excited about moving to Italy. Have you told Tade yet?”
“Erm… no I haven’t.”
“Ah Temmy! Why not?”
“Funmi I told you I was forgetting about him and moving on; didn’t I?”
“Yes but what about the flowers you said you received from him?”
“Well… I didn’t exactly say they were from him…”
I knew it was Tade who sent me the flowers last weekend. It had to be him, I thought, as I picked them up and went to put them into a vase. But why was he sending me flowers now, when I was already in two minds about him? I wasn’t exactly thrilled with him since he had moved on. And I certainly wasn’t going to lie awake at night over-thinking things regarding our non-existing relationship.
“… and besides he hasn’t called me yet, so I’m not sure if I should call him.”
“Oh please, who else would send you flowers? He might be wondering if you got his message and why you haven’t called him back yet.” Funmi said.
“Funmi the guy refused to talk to me for weeks. If he wants to make up for it, he better do more than sending me flowers.”
Funmi continued talking while I assessed a jacket I was holding. I heard Italian women were quite particular about fashion and looking good, so I was going to up my game once I get there.
“Ah ah, but at least he tried. And I think that since he made the last gesture, you should make the next one.”
“Funmi, I’m not sure…” I said, my thoughts trailing off.
“But at the very least he needs to know you are moving away.”
“Okay fine, maybe a day before I leave, I’ll send him a text.” I laughed.
“Are you serious?” Funmi exclaimed.
“Alright, I was only joking. But calling him won’t mean anything, to be honest.”
“What do you mean?”
“If I’m not too keen to risk anything now, what’s the guarantee that it will be worth a long-distance thing?”
“Hmmm,” Funmi seemed to consider. “I agree, distance will be a problem. But – ”
“I don’t think I can do long-distance,” I said. “I know myself; I’ll get bored soon and move on.”
“Whatever Temmy, just call him.”
“Alright ma’am. If it means that much to you, I’ll call him.”
“Thanks Temmy. I just want you to be happy, that’s all. And I’ll be happy if I see you settled in a nice relationship.”
“Oh wait! I just remembered that I’ve deleted his number!”
“Ah!”
“Oh well,” I laughed. “See I can’t call him now even if I wanted to.”
“So what can you do? Have you got his email address or something?”
“Nope. So the ball is firmly back in his court.”
“I guess I’ll leave you two to it then.” Funmi said.
“Thanks for your concern.”
“I just believe we should always give love a chance,” Funmi said. “Most times, it’s not straightforward but we shouldn’t give up.”
“I know, from your own testimony.” I teased. “How’s Ebuka doing?”
“He’s very fine. Gone on another trip but he should be back by the weekend.”
“Alright, my regards to him.”
“Will do. Take care hon.”
“You too!”
For the rest of the evening, I wondered why Funmi was so insistent on getting me to think about Tade. In my mind, I was already thinking of the possibilities that lay ahead – I would soon be meeting hot Italian guys! Tade would not even be able to compete. I shrugged and continued sorting through my wardrobe.

* * * * *

Within a week, I was inundated with calls from my friends, cousins, and so on. I had expected my mum to be worried and clingy but she was actually not too bad. She was only worried that if I kept moving around for my career, when would I find some stability in my personal life? I persuaded her that in the long run, what matters is that the things I put an effort into would turn out successful. She didn’t seem convinced but she was content enough to let me live my life. She told my aunt, who told my cousins, and before I knew it, word got out and people started writing on my Facebook wall. “You’re leaving the UK?” “Good luck Temmy!” “I hear you’re off to Italy!” and stuff like that. I didn’t mind too much, seeing as most of my family and friends promised to visit me as soon as I settled down.

I was almost done with my packing, the company had sorted out my transfer papers, and I’d even spoken to the new boss I would be working for over the phone. I was really looking forward to the move. Titi informed me that she and my friends had decided to throw me a small leaving party, but they wouldn’t tell me the venue, so they would only come and pick me from work on Friday evening and take me there. I was totally fine with that, just wondering what my crazy friends had up their sleeves. On Thursday, the night before the party, I decided to work late, so that I could leave the office early on Friday. I was still at my desk at seven-thirty pm when my phone rang. I didn’t recognise the number, but I answered it anyway.
“Hello?”
“Temmy.”
My heart froze when I recognised the voice.
“I hear you’re moving to Europe soon,” he continued.
“Er, yes but… how did you know?”
“That doesn’t matter. I’ve got to see you before you leave. Are you at home?”
“No, I’m at the office, why?”
“Perfect.” Then he hung up.


(c) FG

8 comments:

enybees-hub said...

"I just believe we should always give love a chance,” Funmi said. “Most times, it’s not straightforward but we shouldn’t give up.”

I really love this bit...

Hey FG,do you mean to keep me "salivating" with such suspense about Tade and Temmy?Anyway i Love the drama and turn of events,great suspense as always.Good work...

Anonymous said...

I sure hate it when romance does not follow the straight and narrow road! hhmmpphhfff!! Well, let them seperate already! *scowl*

Favorsheart said...

lol @ yetitweets

One thing that cannot be taken away from IMDIWS is the suspence...you can never predict it..

and so we wait...good job FG!

tjawiee said...

Please keep the drama unfolding.....cheers :D

DarLyn said...

hmmm,
Tade & Temmy, I wonder what those two will be up to next.

I'm enjoying the twists and turns though, because in reality, things almost never go the way we planned especially "matters of the heart"

:)

As always, FG I already want to read more!

qmoney said...

hey FG,are u writing as everyone now??nice still...

Ola said...

I screamed in frustration at end of this one. This suspense is killing me oh. Good one!

Myne said...

She's moving? Hmmm...