I arrived home late, after work on Monday evening and slumped onto my love seat facing the window. I was still quite numb from all the events of the past week. Yesterday, I almost dialled Maureen’s number for our usual girl chats. I had to stop myself from going to her place like I sometimes did, after work. It was still a bit too unsettling to put the fashion show together, but I knew I had to start soon. It was scheduled for two weekends away and nothing was in place right now. I didn’t even have a venue in mind yet.
Slowly darkness descended on the flat and I started feeling cold. I got up from the seat and turned on the lights, then into the kitchen to turn on the heating. I was boiling water for a coffee when my phone buzzed; it was a text from Tade. I groaned inwardly. I was still avoiding him. He had been trying to call me since we left the bar, but I was so caught up with everything, that I hadn’t had the chance to call him back. Besides, after the talk with Titi, I was still feeling guilty and ashamed to face him. What would I say? That our time together was just a fling and nothing more? What did he want from me? And more importantly, what did I want from him? I sipped my coffee thoughtfully and pondered what Titi had said. That I didn’t need to prove a point to anyone; I was free to live my life.
I set about making myself some dinner. Thirty minutes later, the house was still cold. I checked on the boiler and to my dismay it was switched on, but not working. Great, just what I need at this time – a broken boiler. I called the property agent so they could inform the landlord. While I was put on hold for a few minutes, my phone beeped a call waiting; Tade was calling me. I couldn’t pick it up, not now. I promised myself that I was going to call him back soon.
*****
I found myself at Funmi’s place later that night. She opened her front door and pulled me in.
“Welcome dear!” she greeted with enthusiasm that I couldn’t return.
“Thanks Funmi, hope you don’t mind me crashing at yours for a few days,” I said.
“Not at all,” she said, taking my coat and bags. “What did your estate services people say?”
“They said it will take five days to sort out my boiler.” I replied. “At this time of the year, they expect me to stay in a flat with no heating or hot water for so long!”
“Don’t mind them. I hope it gets sorted out,” Funmi said, ushering me into the living room. Her flatmate was watching TV.
“Marta, you know my friend, Temmy? She will be staying here for a few days.”
Marta looked up and smiled at me. “You’re welcome Temmy,” she said. I loved her accent and dimples.
“Thanks,” I said, relieved. I had been worried things would be awkward between us.
“Let’s take your things to my room,” Funmi said. I nodded and followed her upstairs. I immediately noticed a huge bouquet of flowers on her table.
“Funmi, these are lovely,” I said. “Who sent them to you?”
She blushed. “Ebuka.”
“Really?”
“Yeah…”
“Are you guys… back together?”
“Kind of,” she smiled. “We’ve been talking – he’s apologised for the break-up and I’ve decided to give him another chance.”
“Oh wow, that’s fantastic!” I hopped over and hugged her. “When was this?”
“Just this past weekend.”
“Aww I’m so happy for you; I hope things work out for you guys this time.”
“I have a feeling it will,” she said, picking up a folded piece of paper. “He’s written me some poems as well.”
I took the paper from her and sat down on her bed to read Ebuka’s poem. They seemed like truly heartfelt words and I was glad he came back. Funmi had been really torn when they broke up.
“This is really nice, Funmi.” I handed the poem back to her.
“Thank you,” she said. “I’ll leave you to unpack; when you are done, come and join us downstairs for dinner.”
“Okay.”
Later that night, I lay awake for a very long time, staring into space. Funmi was back with Ebuka, and while I was happy for her, it made me long for a solid, special relationship again. I wondered why I just couldn’t get it. I ran through a list of ex-boyfriends, ending with Emeka. None of them were even close to what Funmi and Ebuka had. Quietly, I resolved to do something to change that. I would give Tade a chance.
*****
“I need help with this,” I begged.
Funmi peeped into the living room where I was sitting on the floor, with my laptop, several clothes and pages of Maureen’s catalogue of designs scattered about. I was setting up the guest list and trying to design an e-vite message to the guests.
“Give me five minutes,” she said, and scurried back into the kitchen.
I groaned and closed my eyes in frustration.
It was Wednesday, and I was still staying at Funmi’s place. After work this evening, I had gone to collect Maureen’s best designs to put the show together. I wanted to ask Funmi for her opinion on several things, but she had been on the phone with Ebuka all evening. I could hear her voice from the kitchen, she was giggling. I was getting impatient; maybe even slightly jealous. Last night, they had gone on a date and I was left alone at her place. When he dropped her off, I could see the happiness in her smile. I turned my attention back to the laptop, made some changes to the invitations, copied contacts from my email address, and then I hit ‘send’.
The front door opened; I looked up to see Marta coming in with her boyfriend, both of them carrying grocery bags.
“Hi.” I said.
“Hello Temmy,” Marta said from the corridor. “How are you?”
“I’m fine thanks.”
Her boyfriend Jon, said hi to me as well, before they both went into the kitchen. I was beginning to feel like the fifth wheel in this house.
Twenty minutes later, Funmi came to join me.
“Sorry about that, we had some things to discuss,” she said.
“No problem. What do you think – ”
“Wait, Marta and Jon are baking cakes in the kitchen. Let’s go to my room so they won’t disturb us.”
“Okay.”
Once we had settled on her bed, Funmi asked, “So what have you done so far?”
“I’ve booked the venue, picked out the clothes, compiled the guest list and sent out invites.”
“Well done, organised lady. What’s next on the list?”
“Now we need some girls to model the clothes.” I said. “We’ll also need someone to do the hair and make-up.”
“Hmmm, okay. What about the venue – who will set up the catwalk and all that stuff?”
“Oh, that’s true.” I said, scribbling in my notebook. “I’ll find someone.”
“I think I can get someone to do the hair and make-up,” Funmi said. “My cousin is into that stuff and I’m sure she’ll love to help.”
“Thanks; that would be great.”
“How many models do you plan to have?”
“Well, let’s see. I’ve got about 28 outfits in total. So if each model wears two or three… we would need about 10 girls.”
“Okay, let me write things down too, so that we can check them off, as we discuss.”
She got out her own notebook and started making a list. My phone buzzed.
Oh not now. It was Tade calling again.
Funmi looked up and saw the caller.
“Temmy, why are you not answering your phone?”
“I don’t want to talk to him right now.”
She sat up, looking concerned. “Why?”
“Because… I don’t know… it’s kind of complicated.”
“Isn’t he the guy that met you at Rendezvous the other day?”
“Uh huh.”
“You are now avoiding him?” Funmi said, looking at me directly. “What’s going on?”
I told her the whole story, including my conversation with Titi. Funmi listened throughout without interrupting. She didn’t even judge me when I said I had cheated on Emeka.
When I finished explaining, she reached out to hold my hand. “I understand, sweetie. But you can’t go on avoiding him.”
“Yeah I know. I see what you and Ebuka have, and I want that so badly.”
“Aww, don’t worry sweetie. You will meet someone very soon that fits you in every way.”
“That’s easy for you to say, you don’t have ten broken relationships and guilt weighing on your mind.”
She squeezed my hand.
“I know it’s hard to imagine. Trust me, I know. Relationships are never straightforward. I had already given up hope on mine too, but see how things changed.”
I nodded.
“Call him.”
“What, now?”
“Yes, why not. The earlier you clear the air with him, the sooner your mind will be at rest.”
I took a deep breath. “Okay I’ll ring him back.”
Funmi smiled. “Good girl. Let me excuse you, and go and see what Marta is up to.”
My fingers trembled slightly as I picked up my phone to call Tade. Oh God, it’s ringing.
“Temmy! You finally called me back!” he sounded so cheerful, I almost lost my nerve.
“Hello Tade.”
“How’ve you been? How’s your friend, hope she’s alright?”
“No. She… er… she died.”
“Oh! Goodness, I’m so sorry! You must be so sad. When did she pass away?”
“The next day. After the incident at the bar.”
“That’s awful. But why didn’t you tell me earlier? Are you okay?”
“I’m sorry, Tade. I’ve been ill and so preoccupied – ”
“Do you want me to come and see you?”
“No, it’s okay. I’m actually staying at a friend’s place for a few days.”
“Hope you are taking care of yourself?” he asked, sounding anxious.
“Yes. Er, listen Tade; I called you for some other reasons.”
“Okay?”
“I need to tell you… about that time we were in Paris…”
“I really enjoyed that trip. Why else do you think I’ve been – ”
“Let me explain, okay?”
“Okay, shoot.”
Here it goes. I decided: no more hiding secrets. I told him everything.
He was silent for a long time.
“Tade? Are you still there?” I said. My ears felt hot, my heart was pounding in my chest.
“You used me, Temmy.”
“What? Oh no… Tade please don’t take it that way, please. I’m trying to be honest with you – ”
“I see.”
He sounded put off.
“Tade I swear, I didn’t plan things to happen that way.” I was almost in tears. “I’m really sorry you feel that I was playing you…”
“It’s okay, Temmy. Later.”
The line went dead.
I pulled the duvet over my head and cried myself to sleep.
*****
The day of the fashion show dawned bright and clear. My friends and I were all working together and everything was going well. The hall was packed, the models looked stunning, everybody was applauding, and we managed to raise £14000 for the new charity foundation that Maureen’s parents had set up in her name. Yes, everything was going well.
Everything, except for Tade’s refusal to speak to me since that conversation.
(c) FG
-
(c) FG
-

13 comments:
Great job favoured girl!!! So sad for Temmy, at least it's out in the open, I hope Tade eventually forgives her (fingers crossed)...
@Mercy: How come u're always first to comment...Ok lemme go and read now..
This sounds very familiar... wish my life was like a novel too, then i could determine the outcome! Well, I hope this one works out! lol!
I feel so sad for Temmy, i hope Tade gives her a chance.
Great job FG!
Aww poor Temmy. Now she has decided to make things right with Tade he is fronting! I hope he turns around to forvige her though cos not all relationships start off smoothly. I'm rooting for them
Eeya...
Well, thank God she took Funmi's advice and came out clean with Tade instead of covering it up...
I really pray Tade gives her a chance.
I'm so happy for Funmi and Ebuka.
errrrrrr FG, how comes you are now temmy.. sweetie mi I thought you were Lola :)..
poor temmy, it's as if telling the truth doesn't pay in the end.. anyways I just feel tade is going thru his man issues (i.e. ego beating) and will soon turn around. well done chica :)
aaawwww ... can't even remember the paris n tade part. Must ave missed it last year.
Good job .... can't wait till next week ... I need a good dose of Lola!
I enjoyed reading that. We mostly see men is the 'rotten' light, and women getting heartbroken. It's good to see the roles switched.
And no I'm not a sadist. LOL.
Great job FG.
I sure am hooked since I read your book on Kindle! Keep it coming...
Off to get Season One on my Kindle as well, I need the backgroud info to this. Lovely writing.
Puhlease..why is he so pissed? se Paris was just a kiss..abi did u guys re-write it? abeg. he needs to take a chill pill and Temmy needs to stop feeling so guilty..P.S- Where is Dolapo o??..we haven't heard from her ever since her one night stand..rubs hands in glee..can't wait!
Hmm so short of words...
Post a Comment