“This is very nice ladies.” Funmi stated.
“Yeah, it really is!” Titi remarked while staring at her cocktail.
She lifted it and took a dainty sip. “I'm actually referring to our get-together.”
We all giggled.
The night looked promising. My girlfriends and I were sitting at the new swanky bar, Rendezvous. It had just reopened and it looked like the owners had gone all out to pull in a new classy crowd. We were chitchatting over cocktails and having a laugh and it felt great for four of us to be together in a cheerful mood again. It was perfect, apart from the fact that Lola and Dolapo were not here with us.
“I wish Dolly and Lola were here too,” Maureen announced as if she had read my mind.
“I thought Lola said she was coming?” Titi asked, turning to ask me. “Where is she?”
I put down my drink. “Don't mind her, she called me around five thirty to say she couldn't come anymore 'cause her boyfriend was around.”
“She cancelled on us because of whats-his-name?” Maureen asked, shaking her head.
“Wole,” Funmi said. “His name is Wole, and Lola wouldn't normally do something like that. She must really like him.”
“I see,” Titi said, raising an eyebrow.
“And what about Dolly?” Funmi asked. “Who has heard from her? She seems to be very busy nowadays.”
“Yeah she is,” I said. “With her PhD and this recording contract, she hardly has any time to herself anymore.”
“It would be nice if she makes a cracking album and blows up big time,” Funmi said. “Imagine if we could all claim our friend is a celebrity!”
“Yeah it would be wonderful,” Titi said. “We would be able to get into VIP areas like that one if we're with her.”
We followed her line of vision. The VIP section was separated by a curtain and every time someone went in or out, we caught a glimpse of the interior. The ambiance there looked so inviting.
“Still, I'm glad we all came out to try this place out. It's lovely.” I said as I looked around the bar. It was packed with the young and trendy crowd. Most of them were probably models, musicians or fashionistas.
“It sure is.” Maureen concurred.
“Temmy, what have you been up to?” Funmi was saying. “I heard you went to book a hot-air balloon ride.”
I laughed. “I saw the advert and thought ‘why not? It looks like fun’ so I’m planning to go on it soon.”
“You crazy girl,” Titi laughed, shaking her head. “I’m scared of heights so you will never catch me doing anything like that.”
“I’m not really scared of heights, I’m not scared of anything,” I said.
“Hope you don’t break your neck one day…” Titi was saying, when she was interrupted by a voice.
“Excuse me please.”
We all turned around towards the direction of the voice. A well-clad and groomed fellow stood behind Maureen, trying to get her attention.
“H…Hi,” Maureen said hesitantly.
“Hello! You are striking. Love your ensemble! Where did you get it from?”
“I made it myself.” Maureen responded while she looked down at her chic orange, bronze and gold Egyptian-inspired tunic mini dress.
“Really?”
“Yes I did.”
He then held onto Maureen's right hand and placed a salutation kiss on it.
“I'm Jean-Claude Pierre.”
We all stared at each other with questioning looks on our faces.
“I'm a fashion photographer,” he continued.
“Oh?” Maureen said, raising one eyebrow.
"Pardon moi. Salut!" He exclaimed as he turned to us. “Please pardon my bad manners. How are you, Mademoiselles?”
“Good,” we all chorused.
“That’s terrific.” He replied with a heavy French accent. He turned to Maureen. “We have a little chat, no”
Maureen turned to look at us and shook her head hesitantly.
"S'il vous plaît, Mademoiselle?" he persuaded. “What’s your name?”
“Mau...Maureen.” she responded as she got off her seat.
“Excuse moi please, ladies. She will be back soon.” he assured.
We watched Maureen as she walked away with the man towards the bar.
“Should we be worried?” Funmi asked.
“She's a big girl, I’m sure she can handle anything.” Titi commented.
“Hmmm. She will be back soon, I guess” I waved.
“But do you really think he's a fashion photographer?” Funmi queried.
“I don't know.” Titi shrugged.
“There is only one way to know.” I rejoined.
“How?” Funmi demanded.
“We could start with Google search.” I winked. “Let's find out how famous he is.”
“YEAH!” Titi responded.
“Okay, go for it.” Funmi agreed.
I rummaged around my tote bag for my N97.
“What if he's not famous? Will Google still have information about him?” Funmi asked.
“Let's start from somewhere, Funmi and we see how it goes.” Titi answered.
I got my Nokia out and I was about to start browsing when I noticed him staring at me. The guy sitting on the bar stool was trying to get my attention. He shrugged and excused himself from his group of friends and started walking towards our table.
My heart skipped. I panicked and grabbed my bag.
“Temmy, c’mon check now!” Titi lamented.
“Where are you going?” Funmi exclaimed as I got off my seat and started walking away from them. A couple seated very close to our table stared at me as I walked away, unsteady on my feet. I decided to head towards the loo because he was closer to the exit. Suddenly he held onto my right shoulder and prompted me to turn around.
“Where are you off to sweetheart?” he demanded.
I turned around and just stared at him.
“Don't you think it's high time you stop avoiding me?”
We had everyone's attention in the bar but they didn't matter at that point in time. He was the only other person that existed in the room. At that very moment, time rolled back. Memories flashed back and forth. I just stood there without saying a word. We both stood still. He had me trapped with his glinting dark eyes. He looked very serious too.
“Hi Tade,” I finally said.
“Hi to you too darling,” he said in an amused tone. “We need to talk.”
He held on to my right hand and started walking towards the exit. I followed him.
As we walked away I looked back at the girls who looked perplexed and I quickly turned away.
Everyday is for the thief, one day is for the owner.
(c) Lati

8 comments:
I'm first?? Yaaaahhh!
Anyway, i think this was really short...wasnt totally worth the wait.
Just ok sha...i want some more action...plenty action infact.
too short! kilode? didnt even get any drama out of it....
girlz...u must do one tomorrow, to appease us!
all d same, keep up d good work....xoxo
Can you spell INTRIGUE??? ah..what is with the Tade character o?? no fair guys!! leaving us high like that!
P.S- I was about to google the guy myself and then I realized this is FICTION.smh!
I found this blog on friday and i have finished reading every post! I LOVES it....
Well done!
x
LOL @ every day is for the thief and one day is for the owner. Lol.
I blinked and it was over!!! Nevertheless very intriguing, I am still wondering who Tade is and why the other girls don't know him...Good job girls!!
Ok I too have many questions... who is Tade? why is he stalking Temmy?
Post a Comment