Funmi and I were walking to the underground station, pushing our way slowly through the crowd of people returning home from the concert.
“I hope we can get into a train soon.” I said. “I have to get to Stratford so I don’t miss the last DLR home.”
“Yeah, the buses too are so full,” Funmi said. “Let’s try to get in sha.”
After ten minutes we were still not near the entrance to the station, and I was getting worried.
“I wish we didn’t have to postpone Dolly’s celebration.” Funmi said.
“Well,” I replied with a sarcastic tone, “I think we know who spoilt the evening. Do you all believe me now?”
“Yeah,” Funmi said. “I still don’t know why Titi was adamant that Dayo wasn’t married. At least we now know there is another woman in the picture.”
“Can you imagine her walking up to them? What was she trying to achieve?” I said.
“Yeah, it wouldn’t have done her any good to cause a scene right there.” Funmi agreed.
“Anyway, my issue now is that I was right and she owes me an apology for accusing me like she did the other day.”
“Yeah she does.”
“And speaking of apologies,” I continued, looking at Funmi straight in the eye. “You never apologised for interrupting my date with Wole the other night!”
“But I…” Funmi began. “Okay fine, I’m sorry.”
“Finally!”
“But then you too you have started becoming secretive,” Funmi stated, looking wounded. “Since when did you start hiding your love life from me?”
“I didn’t do it on purpose,” I said. “I just wanted to see how things would progress between us before I told you guys”
“Still, this is me we are talking about Lola?”
“Okay I knew you were still nursing your break-up with Ebuka so I didn’t want to start throwing my gist in your face.”
“Fine then.”
“Besides,” I said with a sly smile, “Seeing as we now have a husband snatcher among us, one has to be careful!”
Funmi laughed. “Ah Lola! You are so bad, that’s not fair on Titi. Okay you know what; I want us to hear her side of the story. Let’s all go back to Maureen’s place.”
“Ooooh you this Funmi!!” I groaned.
“Come on Lola, I really want us to all get along again and it’s not going to happen like this with you and Titi opposing each other. That’s how these things start and soon you guys will drift apart,”
“Okay,” I relented. “It doesn’t look like we’ll be able to get a train on time by the look of things here anyway.”
Funmi sent a text to Titi, Dolapo and Temmy to say we might as well go back to Maureen’s place for the sleepover. And that was how we ended up in Maureen’s flat at 12.30 in the morning. But nobody was getting any sleep, oh no.
I was sitting on the rug in Maureen’s messy living room trying to concentrate on the TV, while also watching Titi crying her eyes out. Funmi and Temmy were trying to comfort her, Maureen looked disgusted by the fact that we had turned up at all and Dolapo was lying down on Maureen’s huge bean-bag, looking like she would rather be anywhere else but here. I could tell she was tired, poor thing. Maureen had been trying to play hostess and she had set out snacks and drinks on her coffee table for us but nobody was hungry.
Finally, I couldn’t stand it any longer. I went over to where Titi was sitting on the rug and stood over her.
“Come on Titi, pull yourself together!” I said. “It’s not the end of the world for goodness sake.”
“Shut up Lola, just shut up!” Titi said fiercely through her tears. “I know you just want to gloat about this!”
“Yes I do and I was sooooo right!” I said, equally fiercely. “When I was telling you, you chose to ignore me and you got your heart involved, now see your life!”
“Calm down both of you,” Funmi said, getting up from the rug and stepping between us. “Lola please behave yourself, Titi is upset, this is not the time to start fighting.”
“I’m not fighting!” I said. “I just want to say I TOLD YOU SO!”
“Wait Lola,” Dolapo said wearily. “We haven’t heard Titi’s side of the story yet. Maybe Dayo lied to her and he was very convincing.”
“It’s true, men can lead you on,” Funmi said with bitterness in her voice.
“Okay Titi, let’s hear what happened.” Maureen said, joining us on the rug. “Start from after your birthday party.”
“No wait, you remember you said you had been going out for two months prior to that.” Temmy said.
“Which is considerable time enough for you.” I said to Temmy.
“Lola please let’s just focus on the matter at hand.” Funmi said giving me a ‘shut-up now’ look. Temmy eyed me and turned back to Titi.
Titi sniffed and looked at all of us without saying a word. Her eyes were red and her make-up was ruined. Maureen offered her some tissues to clean her face.
“So…” I prompted, tapping my feet on the floor. “What have you got to say for yourself?”
“Lola what’s your problem?” Temmy said.
“Okay, okay I’ll shut up now,” I said, going to sit on the sofa.
“I know it looks like I’ve been acting silly,” Titi began with a sniff. “But I really thought I knew what I was doing.”
“It’s okay honey, we all make mistakes sometimes.” Temmy said, taking Titi’s hand to comfort her.
“When I first met Dayo, I did think something was not quite right,” Titi continued. “But I couldn’t put my finger on it. At first I thought it was the age gap or the fact that he was always whispering on the phone when we were together.”
“Oh dear!” Funmi groaned.
“Oh dear!” Funmi groaned.
“But I thought it didn’t matter because I wasn’t looking for a serious relationship at the time. I was enjoying the attention and the dates we had together. In the beginning, that was it really.”
“So he too wasn’t asking for anything more?” Dolapo asked.
“No he was perfect!” Titi said. “He wasn’t pressing me for sex; he wasn’t suffocating me in any way. I think it was after my birthday that things started to change.”
“Then you started falling in love?” I said.
Titi looked at me. “Yeah, that was when I started falling. So when you came to me with the story that he was married, I didn’t want to believe it at first.”
“See, you chose to doubt me, even though I had your best interest at heart!” I said. “So why didn’t you confront Dayo?”
“I did!” Titi shouted, her eyes flashing with anger. “I went to his house to talk about it. He seemed okay and he even gave me his spare key!”
“What!” five of us chorused.
“Yeah he did.” Titi said confidently. “That’s why I dismissed Lola’s story and I thought that even if it was true, his wife must not matter much to him because he’s confident enough to give me the key to his house!”
“But that still doesn’t make it right,” Dolapo interjected. “Once a man is committed you should stay away from him”
“Easier said than done Dolly, don’t start preaching to me please!” Titi countered. “You wait until you are in a similar situation and see how you handle it!”
Dolapo shrugged and closed her eyes. “I know I wouldn’t go near a married man.”
“Hey, I didn’t find out he was married until we had been together for some time.” Titi said, defensively.
“Love can make people do crazy things.” Funmi said to Titi soothingly. “I know how that feels.”
“Abi o” Titi said. “Lola, haven’t you experienced love so passionate that you want to hold on to it, no matter what?”
“Wait let me get this straight,” I said, eyeing Titi warily. “If you know a man is committed but you’ve fallen for him, you won’t care about his wife?”
“Yes, I’m selfish in love! Dayo came after me first even when he had a woman and now I can’t let go of him!”
Funmi’s mouth dropped open in surprise.
“It means I can’t trust you around my own man then!” I said.
“What are you trying to say?” Titi said, frowning. “Like I would really snatch my friend’s man?”
“Well you are okay with snatching another person’s husband so we can’t say….”
“You know what Lola, who made you judge and jury over me?” Titi hissed, getting up. “I’ve had enough of your judgmental nonsense. Like you are so perfect!”
“I know I’m not perfect,” I said, sitting up too. “But at least I’m not a selfish home wrecker!”
“Ladies, ladies please!” Maureen said, pulling Titi back to the rug. “Don’t start, my neighbours are asleep!”
“Lola haba!” Funmi said. “Don’t you think Dayo shares most of the blame in this matter?”
“Well I know…” I began, when my phone started ringing.
I rooted in my bag for it. It was Wole calling. I dashed into Maureen’s kitchen to talk in private, grateful for the interruption. Titi was about to fry my nerves. I took a deep breath before I picked up.
“Hi!” I said.
“Hey girl, how are you doing? I’ve been expecting your call.”
“Yeah, sorry I know I promised to call you after the concert.”
“How did it go? Hope you had fun with your girls?”
“Fun? Oh yeah the concert was good. But we are not having fun right now.”
“What’s going on?” he asked sounding concerned.
“Oh it’s no big deal; girl issues,” I said. “We’ll sort ourselves out.”
“Okay, I’m going to bed now, but I just wanted to hear your voice.”
“Aww thanks. I promise I’ll call you tomorrow.” I said.
“Goodnight then.” he said.
“Bye” I replied and hung up.
I went back into the living room and five pairs of eyes were staring right back at me.
“So Lola, you’ve got a new boyfriend?” Temmy asked, raising her eyebrows.
“When were you going to tell us?” Dolapo asked.
“I told Maureen and Funmi,” I said, trying to sound nonchalant. “It’s no big deal, I was going to tell the rest of you soon enough. Besides he’s not really my boyfriend yet, we’ve only had one date.”
“I see,” Temmy said. “Is there something dodgy about him too? Because this is how Titi started with Dayo.”
“Nothing I’ve seen yet,” I said, stealing a look at Titi. “I’m not one to pour my heart into something I’m not sure about.”
“What’s his name?” Titi asked.
“Wole,” I replied. “He’s the guy I met at your birthday party.”
“Oh, I know him.” Titi said.
Dolapo stretched and said. “Do keep us updated Lola. Hope you all won’t be upset if I call it a night. I’m so tired.”
“I’m tired too,” Temmy said. “We’ll continue this discussion in the morning.”
They were both getting up to go into Maureen’s room when Titi mumbled something.
I frowned. “What did you say?”
“I know something bad about Wole.”
(c) Favoured Girl

9 comments:
Oh boy, what is it now?
Friday can't get here soon enough
ahhhhhhhhhhhh don't do this to me
I hate suspense
lovely story line!
u guys are killing me!
pretty pls, make it twice a week!
great episode.....lola is overdoing the i told u so thing...but who wouldn't?
lol.. wahala dey! Lets hear it out ooh!!
Oh oh!!! what is it now? another drama is about to unfold...Here we goooo!
wow...this i what is called drama..
nice one..
Chei fada! What do you know about WOLE? Biko spiiiillllll
I am soooooo like Lola it's unbelievable...everything has to be black or white, no grey area...cant wait for Friday...WOLE what have you done o??? Kudos
This Lola is a real tough cookie. lol
Iron lady for sure
Post a Comment