17 July 2009

LOLA - Putting Myself First

I left Maureen’s flat in disgust. Why are the girls looking at me as if I’m just a trouble maker, lying about Dayo to Titi? I told them Dayo was married, I mean, I saw the photos with my own two eyes. Yet Titi is telling everyone who cares to listen that she went to Dayo’s house and didn’t see any evidence of a woman living there. 

Everyone then started asking me for proof! Ah! If I had known, I would have saved those wedding photos onto my computer at work. But since last month, when the IT department discovered a manager had been downloading porn films onto his work computer, I had to be discreet with my internet use during office hours. I didn’t want trouble with their new strict company internet policy. By the time I went back to check Facebook at home, the photos had gone off my friend’s mini-feed and the album had been made private. I didn’t know how to ask her about the groom without arousing her suspicion. Especially if she was a friend of the bride, she might start thinking I had designs on Dayo. Imagine!

Meanwhile Titi is such a silly cow. Is Dayo such a smooth player that she cannot open her eyes? Anyway this is not the first time Funmi and I have had to dissuade her from dubious guys. There was that time when we were in uni she was going out with one of those dodgy-looking fraud guys. That story was even a funny one! The bloke was spending over £600 a night in clubs every weekend and Titi never questioned where he was getting his money from, seeing as we were all full-time students at the time. When he failed his exams and got kicked out of uni, she started crying. But the tears quickly dried up when she found out that he had forged her signature and swiped all the money she had in her bank account before disappearing into thin air. I was just dumbfounded. As in, how can somebody be so gullible? Thank God for Funmi, she is the patient type, so she can sit down and listen to stories and tales of woe. Me, I’ve said my own about Dayo, I will just close my big mouth and mind my own business from now on.

I got into my car and drove off. I was waiting at a red light when my phone rang. It was Dolapo calling. I plugged in my hands-free and picked up.
“Hey Dolly”
“Hi Lola, how far now? Why did you leave like that?”
“I was angry now. You guys were all on my case like I’m some liar”
“Don’t be angry, it’s just that Titi was upset when you called her an idiot”
“She accused me of trying to cause drama between her and Dayo!”
“I know she did”
“Dolly you know I wouldn’t just make this stuff up, don’t you?”
Dolapo was quiet for a while. I could tell she was trying to find a way to keep the peace.
“I understand Lola, but I feel you should apologise to her. If you are proved right, she’ll then owe you one”
I don’t know how Dolapo does it, but I guess she was right.
I sighed. “Alright, I will”
“Thanks darling. By the way my concert is very soon and I want all of you guys to come and support me o”
“Ok I’ll be there, text me the details”
“Please reconcile with Titi soon o. I wouldn’t want all this drama between us to continue”
“No worries dearie” I said. “Listen Dolly I’m driving now, but I’ll speak to you later.”
“Ok babe, I’ll text you before I sleep this evening”

When I got home, I sent Titi a text to say I was sorry for yelling at her. Funny thing is, deep down I know the truth about Dayo will come out sooner or later but it’s best I sweep it under the carpet for now. When I’m proved right, she would know that I was only genuinely concerned about her welfare.
Oh well, at least I achieved one thing by going to Maureen’s place, I thought, looking at the shoes and belt. Now I have my hawt outfit planned for my date with Wole! Yes, I had a date with that guy I had met at Titi's birthday get-together. We had danced together most of the evening, my my - he was buff! And he seemed like a really nice guy, so I gave him my number. He called me, and we've been talking on the phone for over two weeks. He finally asked for us to meet up again next weekend. I thought of where I would like him to take me. Perhaps we should go and see a play, then have dinner at that new French restaurant in Covent Garden. Yep that would be nice. Ok, I’ll need to do my hair sometime before next weekend. Gosh I’m excited already!
My phone beeped. It was a text from Dolapo.
Concert is next Saturday, 7.00pm @ the O2 Arena. Pls book ticket online. Looking fwd to seeing u there! xxx
Oh snap! Dolapo’s concert is on the same day as my date with Wole! And I had practically promised her I would be there. Which one should I cancel now? Sigh. Does this mean I have to postpone Wole? Unless… unless… maybe I can get him to come to the concert with me. But wait, I don’t want to introduce him to all the girls just yet. Oh this is hard!


I couldn’t wait to get home after work on Tuesday. My department had one long boring meeting all day in the office. I had to keep scribbling lines from the movie I watched last night in my notepad to stay awake! When will I stop forcing myself to do things that I hate? Then I also got a text from Wole this afternoon to say plans have changed and he’ll call me to explain later. I’m not liking the sound of that, if it means he’s pulling out of our date. Although that means I won’t have to blow off the girls on Saturday evening. If that’s the case, I have to book the tickets online tonight; I promised Funmi I would book hers too so that we can sit together. She wouldn’t be pleased if they are sold out!

I was in the process of booking our tickets when he called.
“Hey babe” he said. His smooth voice gave me the tingles.
“Hi” I said, trying to keep things cool. If he was about to cancel, I mustn’t betray my emotions.
“Did you get my text this morning?”
“Yes I did” I replied, already getting my defences up.
“I’m afraid I’ve got some bad news,” he said.
“Really?” I asked, getting worried.
“Yeah, I have to move to Milton Keynes this weekend.”
“Oh!” I said, calming down. I was already imagining the worst. But this wasn’t exactly fun gist either. “What’s up with that?”
“I told you I’m a Project Manager right?”
“Yes I remember you mentioned you’re in Engineering.”
“My company is sending me to oversee a construction project they are embarking on. I only found out this morning.”
“Oh I see,” I replied disappointed. “What’s the project about?”
“They want to build six environmentally sustainable blocks of flats just outside Milton Keynes. It’s a new development and the first of its kind so they are going all out to make sure everything turns out right.”
“Sounds interesting” I said. “How long are you going to be there for?”
“I’m not sure yet; it could be anything from five months to a year.”
What? Up to a year! I thought. Isn’t this just great, I finally meet a guy that seems decent and now he’s moving to another town miles away.
“When do you have to leave?” I was still trying to keep my cool.
“That’s why I was calling you babe. I have to leave on Friday morning and I would love to see you before I go.”
That was rather soon!
“How come they gave you such short notice?” I asked.
“Well everyone thought someone else would manage the project, but I got the job instead. So I didn’t have much time to make plans.”
“Well I guess we can’t meet up then,” I said, hoping he didn’t hear the disappointment in my voice.
“Yeah I have to start packing as soon as possible. And I was really looking forward to our date on Saturday.”
Tell me about it. I thought, rolling my eyes.
“So tonight is like my only free time,” he continued. “Are you at home? What are you doing now?”
Tonight?
“Erm, I’m not sure we can meet tonight…” I said, glancing at my watch. It was already quarter to seven.
“Come on Lola, your place is not very far from mine. I could come and pick you up - ”
“Where would we go, what would we do?” I asked him.
“It’s up to you.”
“I don’t really feel like going out tonight.” I said.
“Okay, how about you come over to mine?” he suggested cheerfully. “I could order pizza or Chinese and we can have a private party!”
Well, this isn’t exactly going according to plan! I thought. What kind of impromptu date is this? It’s a weekday, I haven’t done my hair, I was still wearing my office suit, I needed to cook dinner, I had to call Funmi, I had a thousand and one other chores to do. But the thought of seeing him again sounds quite tempting. Hmmm why not?
On the spur of the moment, I ignored the excuses in my head and decided to go.
“Okay, that sounds good.” I said.
“Great!” he sounded genuinely happy. “I’ll be at your place in about an hour. See you soon!”
“Okay, see you.” I said and hung up.
My heart was beating wildly – Wole would be picking me up in an hour! The thought sent butterflies dancing in my stomach. I pushed the twinge of doubt out of my mind. Being a practical sort of girl, I had to prioritise my to-do list. I have an hour to finish my online transaction, have a quick shower, then change into something casual but sexy. Finally I should send Funmi a text with info on where I’m going because in this London, you never know.

Exactly an hour later, I was ready and my door bell buzzed. Impressing me already? How did the guy know that I love punctual people? I opened the door and almost swooned. He was looking cool and handsome, dressed in casual but stylish clothes. And he smelt… hmmm… alluring is the word.
He smiled at me. “Hey babe, you are looking gorgeous.”
I smiled back and felt at ease. I had a good feeling about this.


(c) Favoured Girl

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

First!

Anonymous said...

I like the flow of Lola's story and she is kinda like me. Very good writing!

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

Do you know what, I really enjoyed this piece. A lovely flow of the story, and I'm even now looking forward to more stories from the crew. I'm sensing there is more going on than it appears.

NoLimit said...

Why do I feel like Lola?
Beautiful story...wish it didn't have to end...
*sighs*

Anonymous said...

Lola sounds like my kind of girl. More from her pls :)

DiAmOnD hawk said...

ooooo.... I have a good feeling about Wole as well... i like i like i like!!!! :-)

hmmm... this concert... i hope nothing catastrophic happens there o...

Jennifer A. said...

LOL...something sounds fishy about this alluring date with Wole. I may be jumping ahead of myself here, but I'm envisioning Lola as the one who thinks she's smarter than Titi, but who may unfortunately make a huge mistake pretty soon...lol.

Jennifer A. said...

I have to add that I think u're just an awesome writer FG...kept me hooked on the screen for the next words...

downtheaisle said...

u got me hooked, i didn't want it to end, i am loving dis. keep it up FG

Unbiased said...

Let me say it officially!! I cant stand this once a week tonic o!!

Could we kinda up it to once a day?
This is beginning to feel like the Harry Potter movie. I need you girls to quit the tantalizing foreplay and speed this thing up.

I wanna know what happens. sob sob

Anonymous said...

Lovely story. And I agree with Unbiased!

Anoda Phase said...

Noice...very well done...

NaijaBloke said...

Wole my guy no dey waste time ...... sharp sharp ....lol

Anonymous said...

first time ever on this blog! I don't know where I've been....you've got me ENTHRALLED! I'm positively hooked!