The series is written by a group of Nigerian writers and bloggers. The story was created by writer and blogger, Tolulope Popoola (Favoured Girl), in May 2009. She published a short story on her blog titled "My Dilemma" and after receiving comments from readers asking for a part two, she decided to expand the plot and characters, and then she invited some other writers to join her in the project. The other writers are: Tade Thompson, Ayodele Alofe, Tolulope Adegbite, Erere Abayowa, Diamond Hawk* and Flourishing Florida*. Each person writes from a different character's point of view, giving each of the stories a unique voice. Read their brief introductions below:
FAVOURED GIRL
Please introduce yourself and the character you write for.
My name is Favoured Girl and my blogger profile is here. I've been blogging for a while now and the name has stuck. I write as Lola for this series. She is a troublemaker - she's feisty and very blunt, but she has a vulnerable side.
How did you come to write for this series? What attracted you to the project?
It all started when I came across a wedding album on Facebook one day and I thought the groom looked like a cousin of mine who was already married to someone else. This gave me an idea and a few days later, I wrote a short story titled My Dilemma. I put it on my short story blog and also pasted it as a note on Facebook. I got good feedback from people who read it, and lots of people asked for a Part 2 to the story. Initially I didn’t think about it until someone left a comment saying that the story could be turned into a series. That caught my attention and it sounded like a neat idea, so I decided to expand the plot and the characters to see what I could do with them. Then I invited some bloggers and asked if they were interested in writing a group story. Thankfully, they agreed to come on board and the series began in May 2009. We finished Season One in November 2009 are now in Season 2.
JAYCEE
Please introduce yourself and the character you write for.
My name is Jaycee of the "Light-Her-Lamp" Blog here. I write about Dolapo, the talented singer, supposed Christian, and PhD student in the series. I consider her to be someone who has something great to offer to the world, but is still hiding in a shell- torn between letting her friends in on a lot of things about her personality and just being an open-book to the whole world out there. She has a lot of lessons to teach the world from her own experiences about what life dishes to her.
How did you come to write for this series? What attracted you to the project?
I saw a great potential in the story coming alive. I was attracted to the project when I saw that each character was so different; notwithstanding, they still managed to build a rare unbreakable friendship. I wanted to see the characters teach each other (as well as the readers) important lessons about life, and suddenly I wanted to be a part of those who will make the story come alive because I love to teach lessons by telling fictional stories. It is the way I write. I also saw this opportunity as a way to improve my professional writing skills.
DIAMOND HAWK
Please introduce yourself and the character you write for.
My blog name is Diamond Hawk, my blog address is http://diamondhawk.blogspot.com and I write for Folake.
How did you come to write for this series?
Favoured Girl asked me if I would be interested in writing as one of the characters of a short story she'd written previously. She communicated that people wanted to see her expand it. She sent me the list of Characters. I initially wanted to be Titi but someone had requested for it, so I chose to write as Folake. I thought it'd be interesting to expand the story. Have you ever read a book or watched a movie and wondered what next? How will the lives of the characters unfold even after the book/movie ends? I guess that was why I agreed to be part of the project. I wanted to know what happened after the end.
LATIFAT AYOOLA
LATIFAT AYOOLA
Please introduce yourself and the character you write for.
I'm Latifa Ayoola and I blog here: http://latifatayoola.blogspot.com/ . I write for the character, Temmy in this series. I deliberately chose to write about Temmy because she enables me to step out of my comfort zone. I could reflect her as human being rather than a stereotype. She is not a good or bad girl. She's just human; and I can relate to this. She's fun loving, articulate but indecisive.
How did you come to write for this series?
Favoured Girl emailed me and invited me to join the team. I screamed, literally, "It will be MAD FUN!" I love telling stories.
FLOURISHING FLORIDA
Please introduce yourself and the character you write for.
My name is Florida. Right now, I go by different pennames: FFF (blogger), FlourishingFlorida (every other creative writing I do), and Ugo Chime (for a newspaper which I won't name). I am not quite decided on one penname. I love variety though, and I doubt I'd love to see myself stuck to one name. I blog here: http://shotmusinz.blogspot.com/. For the series, the character I write is Dayo.
How did you come to write for this series? What attracted you to the project?
Favoured Girl sent out a mail soliciting for writers in a series she had an idea for. I liked the initial writing I read about it, thought "Oh well, anything to get me writing fiction". Also, the thought of writing a male character was very attractive to me, especially a male character that was designated as the cheat. I aimed at getting him some sympathy with the female readers, but I don't think I'm succeeding at all. Dayo is practically the most hated character, which just makes me love writing him. I have always loved the bad guys in movies and books.
WRITEFREAK
Please introduce yourself and the character you write for.
I blog under the pseudonym Writefreak . I am a writer primarily, and I also do some interior furnishing. I am a graduate of English Literature, and I'm toying with the idea of a Masters at the moment. I've been married to my heartthrob for 3 years and I talk about him on my blog here http://writefreak.blogspot.com. I write for Funmi, a mother figure who tries to see to her friends' welfare, sometimes to her own detriment. She's finding it hard to give up her old love while crushing on her friend's man.
How did you come to write for this series?
Favoured Girl put out an "advert" via email. I liked the story/idea and I decided to be a part of it.
AYODELE
Please introduce yourself and the character you write for.
I'm Ayodele Alofe, my blog is here and I write for Titi, the one dating a married man.
How did you come to write for this series? What attracted you to the project?
I responded to an email from Favoured Girl the originator of the idea. I was initially going to write for Titi and Folake and I was interested in the dynamics between a wife and a mistress. People and relationships fascinate me.
ICEPICK
Please introduce yourself and the character you write for.
My name is Icepick Lobotomy, I blog here and I write the character called Wole. A bit about the name - I picked it because of its historical roots. The icepick lobotomy used to be the preferred method for calming lunatics. It became a feminist issue because more women were lobotomized than men and for flimsy reasons like having a temper or being "spirited". They literally used an icepick for this and it was a sad, dark time in medical history. It reminds me where ignorance can take us.
How did you come to write for this series? What attracted you to the project?
I had read the original story and liked it. I followed the series and it occurred to me that I had never written anything like that. I like to try new things, so I approached Favoured Girl and here we are.